Friday, August 13, 2010

The Un-common Wealth Games

The game has started.
In fact it has started with much bang and hoopla much before the scheduled inauguration of the actual games.Its still nearly 50 odd days for the 19th Commonwealth Games and we are all witnessing the action unfolding infront of us. The funny part is that its not being played on any one single ground !
We have players from Australia, England, New Zealand and off course our own Indian players. Players of all types of backgrounds and age groups are having their share of fun. Politicians, businessmen, bureaucracy, all  have their role to play.
We had this inkling somewhere at the back of our mind that something was going on behind the scenes. Afterall it is but human to expect something fishy in an event of such magnitude ! But what initially seemed to be an innocuous remark by Mani Shankar Aiyer soon turned out to be the trigger for the hornets nest. Accusations, allegations, counter-allegations started grabbing the headlines since then.
Jobs being awarded at exorbitantly high rates.
Jobs being awarded to parties with fictitious addresses.
Jobs being awarded to parties with dubious backgrounds.
Jobs being awarded to insolvent parties.
These are just a trailer of what all has come into light so far. Avid follower that I am, I am expecting much more to come into light in the days to come up. As we approach towards 3rd October I guess we should gear ourselves for more last minute, high level, action packed, emotionally charged drama. Afterall its been nearly 30 years since a sporting event of such magnitude is being organised in India.
We are making no stones unturned to play sport with the Games !
I had written sometime back about the IPL team of 2009, I guess I have found out my new Mr Un-dependable for my proposed IPL team of 2010 : Mr Suresh Kalmadi.
I don't know much who is to be blamed for it. I don't know whether it made sense to let the organisers have free hand till the last moment when it was evident much earlier that they were not doing what they were supposed to do. I am equally not sure who is to be blamed for the infrastructure not being ready till now ( I seriously don't know if at all it would be ready till 3rd October !). I even don't know what prevented the Government of India to remain aloof till the last stages and then to start taking actions all of a sudden now. I also don't know who is paying for all this un-common loot of wealth.
But I know for sure, it is India who has lost "something" in all this un-common display of  wealth.
And I also know for sure that it is India who will lose much more if the Games don't turn out to be a success.

2 comments:

  1. As far as Commonwealth games are concerned my views mirrors that of Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyer..but still I believe if you have taken up the responsibility you must handle it effectively and efficiently. Misappropriation and shady deals are not uncommon in India, what is startling though is that we don't even leave the activities which can cost us dearly in terms of our reputation and pride at the international level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following interesting stories on the CWG since Aiyer's remarks. I think I second the above comment. With so many developmental projects being put on hold for these games it certainly wasn't a good decision in the first place to have bid for these games. On the flip side, I also agree that if they are organized successfully, the long term economic implications will be positive. Having taken this responsibility, it just needed good planning and judicious use of resources. I wish our politicians and bureaucrats had put nation's pride above personal gains.

    ReplyDelete